Vermi Compost – Organic Manure
Vermi compost is the product or process of composting using various worms, usually red wigglers, white worms, and other earthworms, to create a heterogeneous mixture of decomposing vegetable or food waste, bedding materials, and Vermi cast, also called worm castings, worm humus or worm manure is the end-product of the breakdown of organic matter by an earthworm. These castings have been shown to contain reduced levels of contaminants and a higher saturation of nutrients than do organic materials before vermi composting.
- Worm casts produce nutrients which enable plants to utilize five times as many nitrates, twice as much calcium,two and half times as much magnesium and eleven times as much potassium.
- Provides Nutrients like N.P.K Ca, Mg, etc. It is rich in several micro floras like Azospirillium or actionomycetes which multiply through digestive system of the earthworms.
- Vermi Compost contains several enzymes, auxins and complex growth regulators like gibberellins and the worms which act as a growth promoter to the plants.
- Vermi Compost supplements humus contents. The worms churn and tunnel the soil and make it porous, improve water holding capacity and the structure of the soil.
- Soil pH is stabilized by buffering action.
- Due to buffering action, minerals and trace elements become available, more easily to crops.
- Vermi Compost is non-phytotoxic, therefore will not burn plants.
- Vermi Compost is non toxic to vertebrates-fruits and vegetables.
- Vermi Compost helps in multiplication of earth worms which reduce the incidents of nematodes.
- Vermi Compost prevents soil degradation and enhances soil fertility.
- Vermi Compost corrects the adverse effects on the soil caused by continuous and excessive use of in-organic fertilizers.
- Vermi Compost helps for hygienic disposal of city waste (garbage) like solid and semi solid waste, farm waste which cause pollution problems.
- Enhance quality, shelf life and value of Horticultural produce.
- Earth worms compost contains adequate numbers of cocoons(eggs) which develop themselves in the soil as adults and supplements all the above to the forest/plantation lands.